Chicago Defective Auto Accident Lawyers
Representing Victims with Vehicle Product Liability Claims in Chicago
Defective auto parts are sometimes the cause of auto accidents. In these situations, the vehicle or part manufacturer may be liable in a product liability lawsuit. The knowledgeable Chicago auto accident attorneys at Ankin Law Office, LLC focus on representing the victims of motor vehicle accidents of all kinds, including those accidents caused by defective auto parts. We work tirelessly to pursue any and all legal claims to get you the compensation that you need and deserve following your auto accident.
Contact our office at (800) 442-6546 to schedule a free consultation with one of our knowledgeable Illinois defective auto parts attorneys.
Auto defects can cause serious damage, personal injury and even death. For instance, motor vehicle defects can result in the following:
- Automobile rollovers/stability defects
- Inability to stop
- Unintended acceleration
- Tire blowouts, which can result in a loss of control and failure to stop
- Roof collapse when a defect causes the roof to collapse during a rollover
- Seat back collapse, which frequently occur in a rear-end collision when the seat back may collapse to the rear and the front seat passenger may be ejected into the backseat
- Glass breakage, caused by failure to include shatter-resistant window glazing
- Airbag failure
- Seatbelt failure when latch failure or the seatbelt fails to adequate restrain the passenger
- Door latch failure when a defect causes the doors to open during a rollover or other accident
- Gasoline fire
Product Liability Laws
The manufacturers of defective auto parts may be liable for any accidents, injuries, and damages in a product liability lawsuit. Product liability laws are meant to protect the public from dangerous and defective products, including design defects, manufacturing defects and marketing defects. Because the specific elements of a product liability claim involve complex, complicated legal issues and because it can be difficult to determine the cause of the vehicle defect, it is important to hire a skilled Illinois motor vehicle product liability attorney in order to pursue your claim.
Product liability lawsuits can be filed against anyone along a vehicle’s supply chain, including the automobile designer, the automobile manufacturer, the marketing companies and car dealerships. Because automobiles are mass-produced, defects typically involve many people and the lawsuits are consolidated as a class action lawsuit.
A product liability claim, including an auto defect claim, can be based on any one of the following theories, all of which require that the plaintiff prove that the car’s defect caused the plaintiff’s injuries:
- Negligence – The alleged responsible party knew of or reasonably should have known of the product’s defect and failed to satisfy its duty to protect the consumer and/or the public.
- Strict Liability – In Illinois, auto manufacturers and dealerships may be responsible for injuries caused by defective automobiles if (1) the product was defective and unreasonably dangerous for its intended purpose; (2) the defect existed when the product left the vehicle manufacturer; and (3) the defective vehicle caused the plaintiff’s injury.
- Breach of Warranty – The auto manufacturer or dealership violated a written or implied warranty guaranteeing a product free from defects.
If you believe you have an auto defect claim, contact the skilled Chicago auto defect attorneys at Ankin Law Offices to discuss your product liability case.