Chicago, Illinois Fatal Auto Accident Attorneys
Representing Families of Victims in Wrongful Death Lawsuits throughout Illinois
Fatal car accidents are devastating and, unfortunately, all too common in Illinois. In 2010 alone, there were 927 fatalities, with nearly half of those fatalities a result of alcohol-related accidents.
If you have lost a loved one in a fatal car accident, you may wish to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit against the negligent driver. The skilled Chicago car accident attorneys at Ankin Law have considerable experience representing victims of all types of catastrophic auto accidents, including fatal car accidents, head-on collisions, and rollover accidents.
Wrongful Death Lawsuit following Fatal Car Accident
If your loved one was killed in a fatal car accident, you may have the right to recover compensation in a wrongful death lawsuit. A wrongful death lawsuit is a type of personal injury lawsuit in which a representative of the decedent (usually a family member) seeks compensation and damages from the person(s) responsible for the victim’s.
A wrongful death lawsuit must be filed within a certain time period following the accident, which varies depending on the applicable state law and the type of accident that caused the death. Accordingly, it is important to consult with a skilled Illinois fatal car accident attorney as soon as possible following a fatal car accident in order to ensure that the appropriate steps are taken to preserve your legal rights. At Ankin Law, our Chicago wrongful death attorneys focus on helping the family members of victims killed in fatal car accidents recover the compensation that they deserve.
Elements of Wrongful Death Claim
In order to bring a successful wrongful death cause of action, the following elements must be present:
- The death of a human being;
- Caused by another’s negligence;
- Loss as a result of the death, and;
- The survival of family members or others named by a particular state’s statute as being entitled to sue.
Compensation and Damages in a Fatal Car Accident Lawsuit
If you have lost a loved one in a fatal car accident, you may be able to recover the following damages in a wrongful death lawsuit:
- Medical bills incurred by the decedent prior to death
- Funeral expenses for the decedent
- Loss of the decedents future income
- Loss of the decedents benefits (pension, health insurance, etc.)
- Loss of future inheritance
- Loss of parental guidance when the decedent has surviving minor children
- Loss of spousal companionship, protection and care
- Pain and suffering of the survivors due to the trauma of losing a loved one
- Pain and suffering of the decedent if an injury preceded the death
- Punitive damages if the defendants actions were intentional, malicious or particularly egregious.
Compassionate Wrongful Death Attorneys
The trusted Chicago fatal car accident attorneys at Ankin Law understand that you are suffering emotionally following the death of a loved one in a fatal car accident. We are skilled and experienced wrongful death attorneys and work tirelessly to protect your legal interests so that you can focus on dealing with the painful loss that you are experiencing.
If you have lost a loved one in a fatal car accident, contact the compassionate Chicago wrongful death lawyers at Ankin Law at (800) 442-6546 and learn more about how we can help you recover the compensation you deserve in a wrongful death lawsuit.