Chicago, Illinois Auto Accident Attorney

Frequently Asked Questions about Auto Accidents

Auto accidents can be confusing and unsettling experiences. The following are some of the most frequently asked questions following an auto accident.

Should I see a doctor?

If you have been in an auto accident, you should see a doctor as soon as possible. Not only is it important that you received the medical treatment necessary for any auto accident injuries, but it is also important to maintain a comprehensive medical record and documentation regarding treatment in the event that you choose to proceed with a personal injury lawsuit against the other driver.

Do I have to go to court to recover for my injuries and damages?

You may or may not have to go to court to recover for your auto accident injuries and/or property damages. Insurance companies frequently want to settle auto accident cases quickly, but they often offer compensation that is less than the victim might be entitled. At Ankin Law, our experienced Chicago car accident attorneys are well-versed in auto insurance policies. We understand the procedures and formalities of the insurance companies involved and will communicate with the insurance companies on your behalf.  We will make every effort to negotiate a favorable settlement, but if one cannot be reached, we are prepared to vigorously advocate on your behalf in a court of law.

What can I recover in a personal injury lawsuit?

The amount of recovery will vary greatly depending on the circumstances of your individual auto accident case. Depending on the injuries involved and facts of the case, you may be able to recover for medical bills, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

Can I recover even if the accident was my fault?

Whether you can recover if the auto accident was your fault depends on the laws of your state. Some states do not consider fault with respect to some damages. In those states, you may be able to recover some of your economic losses under your own no-fault policy. Even in those states that consider fault, you may still be able to recover for your injuries if the accident was partially your fault, provided you can show that the other party’s fault was greater than your own.

What if the other driver has no insurance?

You may still be able to recover for your injuries and/or property damages even if the other driver is uninsured or underinsured. Most insurance policies contain an uninsured/underinsured motorist provision, whereby your insurance company agrees to assume the role of the at-fault party and pay on your claim for any damages or injuries sustained in the accident if the negligent driver lacks the appropriate insurance coverage.  These provisions can be confusing, with many nuances, however. It can be incredibly helpful to consult with a skilled auto insurance attorney to understand the implications of uninsured motor provisions.

The knowledgeable Chicago car accident attorneys at Ankin Law are well-versed in uninsured motorist provisions, as well as other auto insurance provisions. We understand how to communicate with insurance companies and how to interpret the provisions so that you can obtain the maximum recovery.

What should I do if I have been in an auto accident?

If you have been in an auto accident, you should act quickly to protect your legal rights.  Do not hesitate to contact us at (800) 442-6546 to schedule a free consultation with one of our skilled Chicago, Illinois car accident attorneys so that we can begin working on your car accident case immediately.