Chicago, Illinois Auto Accident Attorneys
Representing Clients Suffering from Brain Injuries Following an Auto Accident
Traumatic brain injuries are most commonly caused by motor vehicle accidents. With approximately 5 million Americans currently suffer some form of disability caused by a traumatic brain injury, brain injuries (including concussions) cannot be taken lightly. Brain injuries can result in serious, lifelong injuries, including severe personality changes, diminished cognitive and motor abilities, and other lifelong disabilities.
Types of Traumatic Brain Injuries
Brain injuries caused by auto accidents can run the gamut and include a wide array of injuries. Some common types of brain injuries include:
- Concussion— A concussion occurs when the head accelerates quickly and then suddenly stops or is rapidly rotated. Concussions often occur even if the head does not come into contact with a hard surface. A concussion can result in confusion, blurred vision, memory loss, nausea and, in some severe cases, unconsciousness.
- Whiplash – Whiplash and other forms of indirect trauma are often suffered in rear-end accidents. Whiplash is caused when the head is thrust forward and back at a high speed, causing injury to the muscles of the head and neck. Whiplash can cause damage by stretching and damaging nerve cells, which can result in severe injury, permanent brain damage or death.
- Direct trauma –Direct trauma brain injuries may include skull fractures, contusions (bruising of the brain), or a brain hemorrhage (bleeding in the brain).
- Diffuse axonal injury can result from a severe and sudden twisting of the brain.
- Hypoxia is caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain.
- Secondary brain injury, such as swelling of the brain, collection of blood on the brain, or fluid on the brain.
Compensation for your Auto Accident Brain Injury
Brain injuries can result in any type of auto accident, including rear-end accidents and low impact auto accidents. Moreover, brain injuries can have serious and lifelong consequences. An auto accident brain injury can result in significant medical bills and well as your inability to work. If you have suffered a brain injury following an auto accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries in a personal injury lawsuit, as well as social security disability benefits and workers’ compensation depending on the circumstances involved with the auto accident.
Traumatic brain injuries, particularly concussions and whiplash, can often go unnoticed for hours and days following an auto accident so it is important to seek medical attention in order to obtain a proper and thorough medical evaluation. You may also want to consult with a personal injury attorney. The Chicago brain injury attorneys at Ankin Law Offices, LLC focus on representing the victims of catastrophic accidents who have suffered brain injuries, including injuries caused by motor vehicles accidents. We will act seek full compensation for your brain injuries, including pursuing a personal injury lawsuit and seeking social security disability benefits and worker’s compensation, if applicable.
Contact our office at (800) 442-6546 to schedule a free consultation with one of our skilled Chicago brain injury attorneys to learn more about how to obtain compensation for your auto accident brain injury.