Chicago Road Rage Accident Lawyers
Representing Victims of Road Rage Auto Accidents throughout Illinois
Road rage and aggressive driving can lead to motor vehicle collisions, injuries, or death. Road rage is an extreme form of aggressive driving when a driver that becomes so enraged with a driving incident that he or she reacts violently with threatening behavior or physical confrontation. Road rage is a criminal offense under Illinois law.
Other types of aggressive driving include speeding, switching lanes recklessly and/or without signals, and following other vehicles too closely. Aggressive driving and road rage often lead to auto accidents. If someone is injured in an accident caused by road rage or aggressive driving, the driver can be held liable for resulting damages, injuries or deaths in a motor vehicle accident lawsuit.
If you have been involved in an accident that involved road rage or aggressive driving, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and/or property damage in a motor vehicle accident lawsuit. The skilled Chicago auto accident attorneys at Ankin Law have years of experience representing victims of motor vehicle accidents, including victims of road rage. If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident involving road rage, contact one of our Illinois motor vehicle accident attorneys at (800) 442-6546 to discuss your legal rights and remedies.
Common Types of Road Rage and Aggressive Driving
Road rage and other forms of aggressive driving can include:
- Frequent or reckless lane changes
- Failing to signal lane changes or turns
- Tailgating (i.e. following too closely)
- Failing to yield right of way
- Needlessly flashing headlights
- Making obscene gestures while driving
- Obstructing other vehicles
- Physical or verbal threats and/or abuse
How to Avoid Road Rage Incidents
Road rage accidents are frequently caused because drivers overreacting to careless or inconsiderate driving errors made by other drivers. The following are some tips to help you avoid incidents involving road rage:
- Stay calm to avoid escalating the situation.
- If you are confronted by a driver with road rage, pull over and stay in your car.
- Get out of the driver’s way by pulling over, taking an alternate route, or pulling into a safe location.
- Ignore any threatening speech or gestures being made toward you, and do not make any threatening speech or gestures to others.
- Avoid eye contact.
- Do not challenge or retaliate against the other driver.
- Avoid aggressive driving.
- If possible, take note of the offending driver’s license number, as well as the vehicle’s color, make, and model.
- If you feel threatened, you should contact the police immediately. Stay in your vehicle and dial 911 on your cell phone if possible.
If you have been the victim of road rage or aggressive driving, contact the Chicago auto accident attorneys at Ankin Law at (800) 442-6546 to schedule a free consultation to learn more about how we can help you if you have been in an auto accident involving road rage.