Chicago, Illinois Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys
What to Do If You Are in an Auto Accident
If you have been involved in an auto accident, you are likely scared and confused. The Chicago car accident lawyers at Ankin Law Office, LLC are here to help. We can help advise you on how to proceed so that you can receive the compensation that you need and deserve, and we will deal with the insurance companies on your behalf so that you can focus on recovering from your auto accident.
It is important to know what to do in the event that you are ever in a car accident. The following outlines the steps that you should take if you are in a Chicago car accident. Contact our office at (800) 442-6546 to learn more about what to do if you are in a car accident.
Immediately after the accident
- If you are involved in an auto accident, you must stop. Do not attempt to flee the scene of the accident, no matter how minor the car accident seems.
- Check for injuries and call an ambulance, if necessary.
- If possible, notify oncoming traffic to proceed with caution by turning on your hazard lights.
- Contact the police.
- Exchange information with the other driver, including the names, addresses, phone numbers, driver’s license numbers, license plate numbers, and insurance information.
- Obtain identifying information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Take notes or photos of the accident scene.
- Avoid making any comments about whether you are at fault. The other driver may share the fault or other factors may have caused the accident and an admission of fault could be used against you later on in a motor vehicle accident lawsuit.
When the Police Arrive
- Cooperate fully with the police when they arrive.
- When you speak to the police, tell them only the facts of what happened, and do not draw any conclusions.
- Do not admit responsibility for the accident to the other drivers, passengers, witnesses or the police.
- Inform the police of any injuries and witnesses.
Soon after the accident
- Photograph your injuries and the damages to your car.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible. Some auto accident injuries, such as whiplash, can take some time for the symptoms to develop. Certain injuries may not be apparent until sometime after an accident. If you don’t see a doctor immediately, you risk exacerbating any injuries. Moreover, an insurance company may argue that your failure to seek immediate medical attention indicates your auto accident injuries resulted from an unrelated event after the accident.
- Gather all automobile insurance policies in your household for evaluation by an attorney, and inform your insurance company of the accident.
- Obtain legal advice from a knowledgeable Chicago auto accident attorney, like those at Ankin Law Office, before filling out insurance documents, giving recorded statements to any insurance company, or meeting with any insurance company representative.
- Review your auto insurance policy to familiarize yourself with its “coverage” and “exclusion” sections.
Contact your insurance provider. Make sure to take detailed notes of all conversations with insurance company representatives.
Avoid signing any checks or documents from any insurance company without first consulting an experienced Illinois auto accident attorney.
Days and Weeks Following the Auto Accident
- Within a few days of the accident, record all important information, license numbers, and the year, make and color of all vehicles involved, and the details of the accident, including date, time, location, road conditions, traffic controls, and weather conditions.
- If you have not yet contacted an attorney, you should consult with a Chicago car accident lawyer like those at Ankin Law Office.
- Document all of your losses, including medical bills, reasonable transportation costs related to the injuries, future medical treatment, lost wages, future loss of earnings, the effect on your family, and the effect on your life. Keep receipts of meals, lodging, and purchases made in connection with time spent pursuing your claim or recovering from your injuries from the time of the covered event until final settlement with your insurance company. An experienced attorney can help you identify all losses that may be related to your accident.
If you have been in an auto accident, do not hesitate to contact the skilled Chicago car accident lawyers at Ankin Law Office at (800) 442-6546 to learn more about what to do if you after you have been in a car accident.